CONTACT

    April 3, 2025

    1:26 pm

    Karabakh Dissolution Decree Annulled

    Nagorno-Karabakh – Samvel Shahramanian is sworn in as new Karabakh president, Stepanakert, September 10, 2023.

    Samvel Shahramanian has annulled his September 28 decision to liquidate the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, an aide to the exiled Karabakh president revealed on Friday.

    A decree signed by Shahramanian disbanded all government bodies and said that the unrecognized republic, which had been set up in September 1991, would cease to exist on January 1. It came just over a week after Azerbaijan’s military offensive that forced Karabakh’s small army to lay down weapons and restored Azerbaijani control over the region.

    Speaking in Yerevan on October 20, Shahramanian said he had to sign the decree in order to stop the hostilities and enable the Karabakh Armenians to safely flee their homeland. Karabakh lawmakers likewise said early this month that the decision demanded by Baku helped to prevent a “genocide.”

    Shahramanian’s adviser, Vladimir Grigorian, told RFE/RL’s Armenian Service that the Karabakh leader invalidated the controversial decree on October 19.

    “This means that the Republic of Artsakh, its government, and other bodies will continue to operate after 2023,” he said, adding that all senior Karabakh officials will keep performing their duties without getting paid.

    “We can consider the September 28 decree null and void,” stressed Grigorian. He did not say why its invalidation was not made public earlier.

    The development may put Karabakh’s leadership now based in Yerevan at odds with Armenia’s government. Political allies of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian have said in recent weeks that Karabakh government bodies should be dissolved following the region’s recapture by Azerbaijan and the resulting exodus of its ethnic Armenian population. Parliament speaker Alen Simonian claimed on November 16 that their continued activities would pose a “direct threat to Armenia’s security.”

    In its December 10 statement, the Karabakh legislature balked at attempts to “finally close the Artsakh issue” while signaling its desire to discuss them with Pashinian’s government.

    On Tuesday, Pashinian he gave more indications that the Karabakh issue is closed for his administration. “As I said, I am the prime minister of Armenia and must advance Armenia’s national interests,” he said in televised remarks.

    azatutyun.am

    Կարող եք կարդալ

    Displaced Karabakh people demand right of return and continuation of social support

    Thousands of displaced Armenians from Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) and others rallied at Freedom Square in Yerevan on March 29, presenting a series of demands to both the Armenian government and the international community. The demonstration, organized by the Council for the Protection of the Rights of Artsakh People, focused on their right of return and the […]

    Կարդալ

    Switzerland Opens a Diplomatic Door—for Armenia to Walk Through

    Op-ed by Vartan Oskanian, Armenia’s former foreign minister (1998-2008) By adopting the motion titled “Peace Forum for Nagorno-Karabakh: Enabling the Return of Armenians”— the Swiss Council of States has delivered a rare but essential breakthrough in the stalemated diplomacy surrounding the South Caucasus. With both houses of the Swiss Parliament now backing the initiative, the Federal Council is […]

    Կարդալ

    Letter by grassroots organization of Armenian refugees from Azerbaijan circulated as official UN document

    A letter by Gardman-Shirvan-Nakhijevan Pan-Armenian Union, a civil society organization established to protect the rights of Armenian refugees from Azerbaijan, about the 1988 anti-Armenian pogrom in Sumgait, has been circulated by the UN as an official document. The letter addressed to the UN Secretary-General is titled “Appeal for remembrance and justice for the Sumgait massacres […]

    Կարդալ